Friday, August 5, 2011

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

  It really is the most wonderful time of the year. Forget winter! This is the time when my garden starts spitting out tomatoes. For the next month, I'll be living on BLT's, tomato sandwiches, and cherry tomatoes right off the plant! Oh, and corn on the cob too. There will be meals consisting of just corn and tomatoes. Unless, of course, you are Katrina. She hates tomatoes. Where did this child come from? Who are her parents?


  I've been making pickles. Really garlicky, spicy pickles. I'm quite satisfied with the results (thanks Uncle Danny B), and as soon as it's a bit cooler in the kitchen, I'll put those spears into jars and seal 'em up! I also made some seedless raspberry jam. Do you know how hard it is to get every single stinking seed out of a raspberry? But it's worth the effort. I have enough berries for a few more batches. The garden tomatillos have failed, so no fresh salsa verde (sob!). I suppose we could get some at the farmer's market. That's the next best solution.

  This time of year also brings in the beginning of school shopping. New jeans (which she can't wear until October because it will be too hot), pencils, markers - but no crayons. Fifth graders do not use crayons. Bummer. I love the smell of a new box of crayons. Maybe I'll buy myself a box - the 64 pack with built in sharpener.

I've started planning my Christmas knitting. I'm hoping to have the big projects done early.

 

No comments :