Friday, December 24, 2010

Desperate Measures

It's 5pm on Christmas Eve. I'm finishing up my final knitting project/gift - a pair of felted mittens for my dad. I am loving this pattern, and I've used 75% stash yarn for all my gifts this year! I have about one inch on top and the thumb to go the last mitten, and I've run out of yarn! It was yarn from my stash, there isn't any, and even if the yarn shop was open, it's very doubtful they would have this lot number in stock (I bought it last year). What do I do??
The only solution? Rob Peter to pay Paul:


The thumb is done with a separate piece of yarn, so I carefully undid the thumb of mitten #1, and started knitting with that yarn. I'm very careful to only pull out as much as I need, so I don't undo the entire thumb. I finished the top of mitten #2, and picked up stitches for the thumb. I knit up so there are an equal number of rows on each thumb, then change to another color to finish each thumb. They look OK. I threw them in the washing machine, and 14 minutes later - nice warm, thick mittens for dad! I've got them speed drying on the boot dryer!

1 comment :

Jill said...

Aren't you the clever one! I bet your dad will love the mittens and get a lot of use out of them.

On a more important note:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!