Thursday, March 3, 2011

It's sit-up Thursday!

In the past, when I've tried to get in shape/train for a specific event, it's been a failure. I don't have a specific plan, I'm not motivated, and I can think of a million other things I need to be doing. This time, I vowed to make it different. I have hired a personal trainer/coach. He came pretty cheap since I'm married to him. So far, he has actually been helpful, has made a plan for me, and I'm sticking to it.
I started at the beginning of February. The plan says I am to do 10 minutes of cardio intervals (walking/running or cycling) twice a week, and one day of "core" work (mostly sit ups! YUK). I am supposed to add 2 minutes to the cardio each week. (Remember I'm pretty much starting from scratch, and I had major surgery 6 weeks ago) I did walk/run a couple of times, then the weather turned sour. Karl got my bike on the trainer before I even had to ask him, and I've been spinning since. 2 minutes a week didn't seem like much, so I went a little farther. On Tuesday, I did 30 minutes. That was more like it!
Last year I bought a cheap little TV to put in the office so I could watch DVDs while I rode. That got boring quickly, and that's why I quit. This year, the TV is still there, I watched it a couple of times, but my bike is in a different spot, and I can see the computer, so I pull up some bike racing footage and ride with the pros. That is my motivation.
I'm still having trouble with the "million other things I need to do" part, but I'm getting better, and believe me, I feel no guilt whatsoever that I should be vacuuming instead of spinning. Those cat-hair tumbleweeds can wait, I've got 100km to train for!
Things are looking good otherwise. I have yet another "inflation" today. I think I'm just about to the size I want.

No comments :